Monday, April 12, 2010

False Alarm!

Our Sunday ritual hasn't changed much since we had Caity. I get up at 7 and shower, get dressed, do my hair, pack the diaper bag, lay Caity's clothes out, wake Charles up about 8 to start getting ready. By then, Caity wakes up and I feed her while Charles showers, shaves, etc. We head out about 9:30 and go to church.

Yesterday, by the time we got there about 10, I had a contraction. Thinking not much of it, I glanced at the clock and went about the sacrament meeting. 10 minutes later, I had another one. Then another within 10 min.... and another.... and another. By the time 11:00 rolled around, I told Charles what was going on. He had stepped out of the chapel to put Caity down for her nap. He wanted to go home right then and there, but I told him I didn't want her to wake up just yet so we were going to wait it out.

The contractions stopped until about 11:25, then they picked up again, coming every 10 minutes. I talked Charles into staying the last hour because I didn't feel any need to leave just yet. When church was over at 1, we headed home fast. They were getting closer and closer. 7 minutes, 5 minutes, 2 minutes... He ordered me to lay down when we got home, and I did as I was told.

I kept track of the contractions. 16 minutes, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 5 minutes, 2 minutes, 2 minutes, 2 minutes... Um, Charles.... they aren't stopping! CALL THE DOCTOR!

I talked to my Dr. and he wanted me to go in and get monitored. We packed Caity up and headed to the emergency room. By then, my contractions were starting to hurt. They took me to the delivery floor and got me on the bed. I swear a million things were going on at once. One nurse was taking my blood, another was hooking me up to the fetal monitor, another was wanting a urine sample, another was getting a steroid shot ready for my butt, and it was craziness in there! Once hooked up the whole way, I got the shot in my butt and then they let me go to the bathroom.

The nurse that went in with me to help me "wash, wash, rinse, and dry" my vagina, stood next to me while I was trying to pee in the cup. She looked down at me, I looked up at her and gave her a half smile. "I can't do this with you in here!" I said. "Oh, oh sorry! Ha ha! I can't pee with other people around either!" said the nurse. As soon as she stepped out, I went!

Afterward, the nurses wanted to get an IV in me so they could get fluids in me. I told the nurses that I've never been good at getting an IV in on the first shot. I told them they could try, but DO NOT wiggle the needle around inside of me. (They didn't listen...)

The first nurse tried my right wrist near the bone. After wiggling it around and trying to "thread" it, my vein blew. So then she tried the top of my hand, wiggled it AGAIN, and that vein blew. A different nurse tried my left hand, couldn't thread it, wiggled it around, and I started getting irate! Charles ended up taking Caity home right then because she was feeding off of my emotions. Finally, the nurse that was with me in the bathroom wanted to try one more time before putting it in my upper arm/elbow area. I looked right at her and said, "If you don't get it in one shot, I'm DONE! And so are you!" She got it right away and I didn't even feel it! It went in above my right hand wrist bone. I was rocking and rolling with contractions for a half hour after that whole ordeal.

My contractions slowed down until the doctor came in to run some more tests on my cervix and check my dilation. But the tests came back negative and within 3 hours, my contractions were every 20 minutes to every 35 minutes. I was allowed to go home.

I'm on pelvic rest, partial bed rest, and limited to only picking Caity up when I absolutely have to. My hands and wrists are all sore and bruised. They look awful. I go back today for the second round steroid shot to help Rosalie's lungs develop. Hopefully we don't have anymore scares for the next 2+ weeks. I'm almost to 37 weeks!

Goal: STAY PREGNANT!

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. GOOD LUCK! Early labor is not fun! I had it with Kael.

    ReplyDelete