Wednesday, February 27, 2013

My First Virtual Half Marathon

I signed up to run a virtual half marathon this month! I paid $20 to help raise money for Breast Cancer awareness! $15 will be donated to Susan G. Komen while the other $5 was for the medal and it's shipping. My aunt is a breast cancer survivor, and I have friends who are survivors and some who are fighting right now. They were the reasons I ran this event!

I have never ran a half-marathon, but this virtual race had the option to break up the run to make it easier for everyone to do. I had planned on running the entire thing all at once, but it didn't happen. I ended up needing to run it in two days. The weather has been awful these past few weeks, so my original plan to run it outdoors was a no-go.

I ran 3.1 miles one day on the treadmill, then finished the last part of the run, 10 miles, yesterday on the indoor track at the Y. Since school was cancelled, so were the fitness classes at the Y. So instead of Power Hour, I spent one hour and 40 minutes running 10 miles! I started off with a faster pace, but slowed down around mile 8. The average for the run was 10 minute miles, which makes me happy! That is a good starting pace!

I got my medal in the mail and kept it inside of the envelope until yesterday. I had my husband put it around my neck! I wanted him to do it since he is my support, rock, and reason for running. I teared up a little after he put it around my neck, it was quickly stopped as Vivian wanted to play with my medal! I wanted Charles to take a quick photo of me wearing the medal, Vivian wouldn't let me put her down! So she's in the photo with me!

Sorry for the crappy camera-phone photo!
And yes, Vivian has a diaper on! She's not nudie!
I am looking forward to running an actual half marathon all at once! I need a little bit more training, though. I am very sore today! I learned a lot about myself yesterday while running those 10 miles! But the most of it is that I need more training! Ha! It's a good thing I start half marathon training in 12 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment