In the beginning of July, a local woman held a fun run/walk on July 3rd to see how many people she could get to come. Our town doesn't have a Fourth of July running event, so this was to see if anyone was interested! There was a 5K/10K option. Although only a few people, myself included, signed up for the 10K. This was a free event! I wanted a test run to see how to pace a 10K! All the runners had to be careful because there was no "official" course, so we had to be careful for traffic and obey all traffic rules! I knew my neighbor, Malissa, was going to run the 5K, so we took a quick picture before we got started!
![]() |
| We've both lost a lot of weight AND gotten into running! She tells me that I inspire her! She inspires me, too! |
I uploaded my data from my Garmin and laughed about my splits! I started of WAY too fast! If my splits were backwards, they would've been a perfect progressive run with negative splits! My splits were:
But I was still proud of my effort! It prepared me to run the Doctor's Dash! I knew that the Dash would have hills, so I was glad that the practice 10K had a HUGE hill right at the end!
My home town was retiring the school mascot, the Red Raider, to welcome the new mascot for the new school year. The school district combined with another and decided to have a new name, mascot, and school colors. It makes me terribly sad, but that's small town Iowa for you! There were fewer and fewer kids in the graduating classes. They needed to combine with another school district to boost numbers. I get it... but it still makes me sad. I graduated a Red Raider! Now there won't be anymore!
I decided to dig out my old cross country jersey to wear during the run! I ran a lot of miles in that jersey, so I thought it'd be fitting for the Dash! It would be the first time I've ran in my home town since graduating in 2005. I wanted to retire my jersey with one final run! Technically, I wasn't suppose to even have that jersey, but when I was a sophomore(or maybe a junior...) in high school, they wanted to get new jerseys for the next year. I just couldn't part with it... so I kept "forgetting" to turn it in... I was such a rebel.
The night before the Dash, I drove to my home town to stay with a family that is like my own family! They were so kind to open their door for me and let me stay in one of their extra rooms! We played a board game, had a banana shake, and said good night! I slept alright, but I never sleep well when I'm not home!
Doctor's Dash morning, July 27, 2013! 54 degrees and sunny! I woke up, got ready, and ate a banana. I drove to Central Park and met up with my running buddy, Jordan! I signed in, got my packet, then chatted with some friends! Jordan and I had a quick bathroom break, then started warming up and stretching. I got a lot of comments on my jersey! It was fun to see my old teammates! I also talked to the members of the Creston Run Club! (Which I'm in! Haha!) It was nice to see so many faces that I knew!
Then it was go time! My goal for the run was to finish under an hour and to pace with Jordan! Because she's a strong, fast runner!
Mile 1 - 8:31 I am always nervous at the start of a race! Always. But once I get going, I'm just fine! They wanted all the 10K people in front, I have no idea why, and we were overtaken with 5K runners within seconds! Jordan and I ran in a single file line to avoid any run-in's with other runners! Once things started smoothing out, we ran side-by-side. I very much enjoy running with her! We had a chance to catch up and talk about pacing! One of the downhills had loose rocks and made me nervous. I knew that on the way back, we'd have to run up the hill on the rocks.
![]() |
| Jordan and I, before I decided to run behind her for safety! My shoes are red, hers are the cotton candy blue! |
Mile 3 - 9:09 We were on grass that was very bumpy and unstable. Which scared me! I'm use to running on the pavement! I've ran a few nature trails, but for the most part, I'm on the pavement! Jordan and I caught up with a group of three runners. Two of them are members of the Creston Run Club. I'm not sure who the other lady was. We paced behind them and followed the little pink race flags. They took us through trees, through the campground, and around campers! Our pace slowed down because some of the route was very narrow and we had to run in single file lines. Once we got back on the gravel, I was more than relieved! We passed the group of three and continued on!
Mile 4 - 8:43 I started feeling tired during this mile, but I did very well with keeping up with Jordan! We weren't talking as much, but it was nice to have her next to me. I don't talk as much when I'm tired and working hard to maintain pace! We could see the other runners in front of us on the other side of the lake. I knew we were going to place within our age group and that kept me pushing strong! I started to lose Jordan on one of the hills. She is a crazy strong runner! She made those hills seem easy! As she pulled ahead of me, I made it my goal to try and catch her! I got out my GU and refueled!
Mile 5 - 8:37 Seeing the road we started on was a welcome sight! I felt great and I could still see Jordan in front of me! There was a man in front of me, but behind her. I tried to catch him, too! Once I got back onto the main road, I remembered the hill that we came up! The other side of that hill was another gradual incline. I passed the 5K turn around point and knew I was on the homestretch! I grabbed a cup of water from the aid station and kept running! Running and drinking water isn't my favorite, but I didn't want to stop! I pinched my cup, inhaled some water, and threw the cup in the trash.
Mile 6 - 8:39 Coming onto the flattest part of the course! I knew I was running out of energy, but I really wanted to finish strong! I passed a few of the walkers from the 5K and they cheered me on! It was nice to have the support! I needed it! One guy in a truck pulled up to me and told me that I could catch the man in front of me! I told him that I'd sure try! I started up the hill with the loose gravel and decided to stay as far to the left as I could, on the shoulder of the road. There weren't many rocks and I had a chance to sprint up the hill. I saw some of the members from the Run Club. They started cheering me on and it gave me the boost I needed to finish!
The last .4 - 2:34 (pace of 7:32) Mark, one of the Run Club members, started running with me. He said, "Now I'm going to pace with you! Keep up with me now! Finish hard!" I kicked in my sprint to keep up with him, but man was he fast! I saw my neighbor, Malissa, cheering me on as I came up one of the hills. She ran with me while cheering me on, and I almost started sobbing! We always want to run together, since we're neighbors, but our schedules are always different! So it was nice to actually run with my friend! It meant SO much to me that she did that! I started feeling funny at this point. My legs were tingling, I felt dizzy... but I kept trying to catch Mark! I was trying to catch my breath and run fast. It was hard! Mark kept saying, "Just a little bit more! Come on, girl! You can do it!" Then I saw the finish line! I ran for it with all that I had! And I finished!
I heard the man at the finish shout my finish time and I about fell over with excitement! He said, "Fifty Four...." and I didn't hear the rest because I was overjoyed and shouted!
10K #1
Official Time 54:55
Official Time 54:55
Garmin Time 54:52
average pace 8:39
Third in Age Group 20-29
How did I manage that?! I have NEVER ran that fast for more than three miles! Holy smokes! I was on FIRE! The race people took my name off of my running bib and I walked around for a few minutes! Then met up with Jordan for a few pictures!
![]() |
| Distant Running Buddies Picture on Jordan's camera without our bags! I should have put my arm on my hip to match! Haha! |
Then I met up with Malissa and Mark and thanked them for running with me! I went over and checked the finsiher's board and saw that my friend, Josie, took first in our age group for the 6.4 mile run, Jordan got second, and I got third! We all placed! What an amazing feeling! Then Malissa came up to me and said, "I got first in my age group for the 5K!" And that's when I started crying! I gave her a HUGE hug and told her how proud I was, and am, of her! She's been working SO hard to improve her 5K time. I am SO glad that she got a medal! She deserved it!
Then it was time for the award ceremony. There were a lot of age groups announced! I cheered loudly for everyone I knew! Then all the medal winners got together for a group photo!
![]() |
| Jordan is in the second row, all the way to the right, on the end! I'm in the third row, fifth from the right, sitting next to Malissa! |
Then the Creston Run Club got together for a photo! We ALL brought home medals! This isn't our whole group, some people left before the award ceremony. And there were some runners in the club that I've never met!
![]() |
| Back row (L to R): Mark, Duane, Wilma, (not sure), Julie, Malissa, and Kristy Front row (L to R): Rose, Josie, Carie, and Monica |
Afterwards, I went back to my friend's house to shower and get ready for the parade! Jordan and I have a pact that if we get a medal from a race, we have to wear it for the next 24 hours! So as I walked in the parade with all of my alumni cheerleader friends, I was wearing my medal!
![]() |
| Not the greatest picture of me... but it makes me laugh! I was waving at Jordan! She took this picture! |
I wore it the entire day! I wore it proudly! I got asked about it a few times! I hardly won any medals while in high school, so to have won one this weekend meant a lot to me! My old cross country jersey has been washed and I'm going to have it framed! It's had a good career! I will miss my old high school colors and mascot!
I look forward to running the Doctors Dash next year! And the year after that...







Yay! What an awesome run and day this was! So glad I got to run it with you!
ReplyDeleteMe too! Pacing with you helped me SO MUCH! Love you girl!
Delete