I have debated on whether or not to even write about this topic, but I am getting tired of explaining myself over and over again. I love my faith, but I hate debating it with people. Especially my family. So let me preface this by saying, I am not going to debate this with anyone. I am, however, willing to answer questions. Please do not ask me questions out of hate or spite. I am happy with my choices. So here it goes.
Firstly, for those who don't know, I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I am a Mormon. I am the only one on "my side" of my family. My husband and most of his family are members.
Secondly, I do not run on Sunday.
It is a religious choice. I say "choice" because even though God gave us the commandment in Exodus 20:8, "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy,", He also gave us agency. Agency allows us to choose. I choose to follow the commandments of God. With agency comes accountability. Which basically means that I am free to make my own choices, whether good or bad, but I am NOT free to choose the consequences.
It. Is. Difficult.
Especially when almost every single race or marathon I want to run in is held on a Sunday. It is hard to find big races that are held on a Saturday. At least, ones that are close to where I live. All the big marathons that I want to participate in (Chicago Marathon, IMT Des Monies Marathon, the Quad Cities Marathon, Disneyland, etc.) are held on a Sunday.
Even though I am proud of my friends who sign up for those events, it is so hard for me to not be jealous. I want to run with them. I want those memories, too.
I struggle with it.
But when I decided back in 2007 to commit my life to living the gospel as best as I can, I never thought that keeping the Sabbath day holy would be such a challenge. (I was baptized in August of 2005, but fell away shortly after.) Since becoming a runner again, it has become a challenge.
Our church has a small booklet called "For the Strength of Youth". I love it! It's not only for the youth in the church, it is for all members of the church. In the section about Sabbath Day Observance, it says, "Sunday is not a day for shopping, recreation, or athletic events."
There it is. I want to tell you that it sucks... but I get why we need our days of FULL rest. Not just physical rest, but rest from all the other day-to-day worries. Buying groceries, buying gas, trying to fit a workout or run in, etc. It is nice to just spend a day with my family, focusing on the Lord.
I am not saying that it is easy. But I KNOW that it will be worth it. When I look at my life, there are many earthly things I want to accomplish, but there are also so many spiritual things I want to accomplish. I have found a balance between both things.
I am training to run the Dam to Dam in June. I am following a half marathon running guide from Hal Higdon. The thing I like about his running guides is that I can change up the days I run, as long as I make sure to get all of my miles in each week. I think that all of his guides have runners running a long run each Sunday. I knew from the start that that wouldn't be possible for me. I just changed the days on the schedule around and my long runs are now on Saturday's.
And with a little detective work, I have found many races held on Saturday's here in my state! I have signed up for a few 5K's, a 20K, and a marathon so far! I am going to be signing up for a half marathon in the next few weeks! It will be ran the week after the Dam to Dam!
I don't think it sounds silly for me to say that I have been blessed for not running on Sunday's. I have lost count of the many blessings that God has blessed me with in my life. I always feel wonderful on Monday knowing that I rested on Sunday. I feel refreshed and ready to take on the week ahead of me.
I also want to say that I do not look down on people who work out, run, shop, and what-not on Sunday. We all have choices. I know not everyone is a Mormon. I know that everyone is different. We all have different beliefs. I love all of my family and friends, each and every single person, just the way they are! I'm not asking anyone to stop running on Sunday, I am just explaining why I do not.
Running is a gift! And I thank God for my ability to run! It is a privilege I thank Him for my body and that everything works as it should! I am thankful that I haven't been seriously injured. I am thankful each and every time I go out on and return home from a run.
I hope to set a righteous example for my children so that they know the importance of keeping the Lord's commandments.
You are so amazing.
ReplyDelete